Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Home-made Single-row Wool Comb -- For Icelandic Wool

I've never used a wool comb (nor drum carder, hand carder etc) before. It's until I started to prepare my first fleece for spinning that I borrow my friend's St Blasie double-rows wool comb. After using it for few days, I finally realized that I was using the wrong tool for this fiber -- instead of double-row, I should use a single-row comb for Icelandic wool !! According to Susan Mongod, ' a double pitch comb (with two rows of teeth) will catch and hold the fine thel fiber as waste', epsecially for Icelandicl wool that most of the the finer/softer fiber gathered in the under coat.

I don't want to spend another hundred plus dollars on the Viking combs that I'll probably only use once or twice a year (or years). Plus, I found out that people DO make their own wool comb, according to the DIY group on Raverly. Therefore, I decided to make myself one. And it's easier than I thought.

Here's what I used:
  • a box of 4cm long nails
  • peices of scrape wood in the backyard (I think they are peice of the bottom wood rack for shipping)
  • two 2' clamps
  • 4 nails that are long enough to connect the handle to the board
  • Tools incluidng an eletric drill, strong glues, sand paper, a giant clamp installed in the garage table that help to stablize the wood while drilling.

And here's what I've got =) Finished the whole things in 3 hours including cutting the woods in right sizes, sanding them down, drilling wholes and glueing in the nails. Total cost: around $10 (since I didn't really pay for the woods! just the nails and small clamps)

Useful references:
1. Ravelry DIY Tools group (viewable for Ravelry members only, go to www.ravelry.com for detials)
2. Christ Lansdown $15 Wool Comb instruction







1 comment:

Tami said...

Wicked awesome kewlness!!!!!